If you are a home owner, it is a good idea to know about the various codes you are responsible to uphold in both your county and your city. Codes are enforced in an effort to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for you and your family to live in.

Common Code Violations in Salt Lake County


  • Materials commonly designated as junk must be removed from your property. (Such as: Appliances, car parts, scrap metal or wood, etc.)
  • All vehicles must be licensed or stored within an enclosed, approved structure.

Parking Area

  • All parking areas must be maintained and surfaced with asphalt, portlant cement, or other binder pavement.
  • Parking is not permitted on dirt, landscaped areas, or other soft surfaces.
  • Heavy commercial vehicles may not be parked in residential zones.

Sidewalks and Right of Way

  • All vehicles, including RVs, may not be parked in a way that obstructs pedestrian passage on the sidewalk.
  • Trees and bushes must be cut and maintained 13.5 feet above the street pavement.
  • Areas designated for off-street parking may not be used for outdoor storage of materials.
  • Sidewalks must be shoveled before 8:00 AM the day after a snow storm.


  • All signs must have a permit issued by Salt Lake County Planning.


  • More than one family or more than three unrelated individuals are not allowed in a single-family dwelling.

Property Use

  • Using a dwelling for a business is not permitted without correct and approved licensing.


  • Solid fences, bushes, or hedges (which act as fences) in a corner lot may not exceed two feet in height.
  • Construction of a fence in excess of six feet is not allowed without a building permit from Salt Lake County.

Property Maintenance

  • All weeds must not exceed six inches in height.
  • All weed trimmings must be removed from the premises.


  • Remodeling, reroofing, window replacements, and basement construction all require a building permit from Salt Lake County.


If you would like to report a possible Salt Lake County code violation or learn more, see the contact information below.

If you have been served a violation and need to report that the issue has been resolved, contact your city or county to mark the violation as completed. Without calling in to report completion of the issue, you might still be accruing fines.

Planning and Development Services

2001 South State Street N3 600
Salt Lake City, UT 84190
(385) 468-6700


Comments are closed.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This