You and your partner NEED a night out. An adult evening away from the kids, just the two of you. Just one problem, your piggy bank is feeling a bit light and you don’t know if you can afford childcare for the evening. Here are a few tips and tricks that can help you achieve that date night out at least once a month.
Do the Babysitting Swap
Have a few friends that also have little tykes running around? Offer to watch their children for an evening if they will do the same for you in return!
Enlist Family and Friends
Do you know of a few family and friends that would be willing to watch the kiddos while you head out for the evening? Great, start using them now! If your family lives far away, plan one night during their visit to give them a “kid night” while you step out for some one on one time.
Group Hire a Babysitter
Let’s say you have four of five couples that would all like babysitting services at least once a month. Get together and hire one babysitter that is up for a weekly Saturday night gig. Create a schedule between the families so that each couple has a turn. The babysitter is guaranteed a weekly paycheck and the group discount rate will help your wallet.
Split the Cost
Look for another couple that you would want to share a double date. Leave all the kids at home with a babysitter and split the cost when you come in for the night.
Ask your Community
Check and see if your school or daycare offers a “parent’s night out.” Sometimes, community centers or child care providers will host one evening where they will watch your children for a flat fee. See if that is something available to you or ask if you can create the program for your community.
Date Night In
If all else fails, and you just can’t seem to leave the house, wait until the kids fall asleep and enjoy each other’s company at home! Here are some ideas to get you started!
- Have a game night
- Eat dinner by candlelight
- Cook together. For an added challenge, create a “Chopped” basket and dare each other to make exciting dishes from secret ingredients
- Create a piece of art or craft
- Ask each other questions that you have never asked before
- Do a puzzle together
- Have a backyard picnic
- Watch a movie under the stars
- Have a weenie and marshmallow roast over a fire pit or in the fireplace
- Host a tasting party. This could be wine, beer, cheese, sodas, candy…
- Listen to music
- Unwind with a bubble bath
- Create a bucket/travel/microadventure list. Maybe some of these ideas can be your next date night!
Comments are closed.